Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Get Your Cocktail On: Caffè Propaganda

I do drink more wine and fewer cocktails since moving to Rome. However, sometimes I like to have something other than a glass of wine, prosecco, or an Aperol Spritz.

Caffè Propaganda is a newish place that opened up in the Celio neighborhood. I don't think I will be eating dinner there any time soon after reading Katie Parla's review (maybe in time the kitchen's kinks will be worked out) but for cocktails... oh hells yes.

My friend Erica and her friend met up with me and two of my friends last Friday. We got there on the early side and sat at the bar.

The décor is gorgeous. The zinc bar and the chandeliers are from France. Stunning. I happened to see an interview with one of the architects on Leonardo. I think she also designed the restaurant 'Gusto.

The music was fantastic. I heard one of my all time favorites, Stevie Wonder's "As" and a version of Marvin Gaye's "I Want You" that I've never heard before. I thought I'd heard them all. Bravo, Mr. DJ.

The crowd was very different from the Piazza Navona/Campo dei Fiori Triangle, no students or tourists. It was older, late 20s and up. There was a couple sitting next to me at the bar who might have been, stop the presses, in their 40s.

Of course none of this matters if the drinks suck. Thankfully, that was not the situation. The two bartenders, Emanuele and Desirè, broke it down.

Emanuele worked in New York City and Desirè in London. They really know their stuff. I could watch them mix drinks for hours. Their seasonal cocktails were inventive and delicious. All night we kept asking them, "what drink is that?"

The bartenders were attentive and friendly, even as the bar started to fill up later into the evening. We spoke Italian to them and they spoke English to us so they could practice.

We did get a few antipasti which were yummy.

My friends and I had a great time and will return. I have to try their Moscow Mule. I wonder what the crowd will be like once high season starts.

Caffè Propaganda
Via Claudia, 15
06-94-53-4255








9 comments:

gibber said...

This looks awesome.

erica said...

Yes, this is the place to get your cocktail on. Gin Fizz, Margarita, Moscow Mule, The Must... the list goes on of things we must drink and drink again. Emanuele knows his cocktails and Desirè has the hands. WHEN ARE WE GOING BACK???

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

gibber - Loved it!

erica - let's go after the monsoon ends. x

Scooteroma said...

You ladies finally made it - brave !! Next time I want to tag along. Baci da MN.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

sr - can't wait until you're back in Rome!!

Gina said...

I read your review...I went...and it was awesome! I mentioned it in my blog too (crediting you for the find, of course!). BTW we have a friend in common...Angela Holton! We should meet for coffee or something. Ciao

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Ciao Gina! Glad you had a great time.


Angela told me she had a friend coming to Rome. Please get my email address from her. I look forward to meeting up! Good luck with your classes.

Paola said...

Oh looks divine and sounds delish! Wish I were closer.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Paola - once this freezing cold weather passes though, I will definitely go back.