Thursday, June 30, 2011

I must respectfully diasgree with Ms. Eva Mendes regarding the Cute vs Sexy debate

The last few weeks I've been working on my novel like crazy. I've neglected my apartment (which is a hot mess), my blog, etc. etc.

I have finally had an opportunity to come up for air the other day. I heard about this comment Ms. Mendes made to New York Magazine.

If I looked like Ms. Mendes perhaps I too would be sick of being called sexy. I don't.

I'm stuck on f-ing team cute. Guess what? Being called cute when you're over the age of thirty is not cute!!

I know being short has something to do with it. Eva claims being cute is more difficult than being sexy. What? Maybe for her. I don't know what she's talking about.

I'm not saying I need to be sexy 24/7. I'm sure sexy women get sick of it sometimes. That said, it would be nice to hear, "Wow, you look sexy" instead of, "Oh my God. You're so cute", or "That dress is too cute." Hello, I'm a grown ass woman. I don't want to be cute, dammit.

Okay, so that was my random post for today. There might be more randomness coming as my brain is completely fried from work.

13 comments:

Rose in Cali said...

You are not alone on Team Cute! I guess it's better than being on Team Not-so-Cute? :O

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

rose in cali - Ha. Good point.

Paola said...

Far are the days of being sexy OR cute ... SIGH.

Jannelle said...

I am also in my thirties and short. I get the cute thing all the time. It really grinds my gears, but I've learned to just grin and bear it. I really hate when these gorgeous celebrities talk about how hard it is to be beautiful or sexy. Poor you! I will take her place anytime.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

paola - ha! no, non รจ vero.

jannelle - Or how about every single model or gorgeous woman was a dork in high school? Right, the girls from my high school who were very pretty have grown up to be gorgeous.

Yes, some model or actresses were probably too tall too soon but all of them? I know they are trying to related to us little folks. I don't buy the false modesty. No need to brag, but keep it real.

Jessica said...

Glad to hear the novel is chugging along! I so agree with you about the cute thing. Only Eva Mendes would say something so ridiculous.

Claudia said...

No kidding!!!

Anonymous said...

I am 178 cm so I have never been cute and rarely been called sexy, so dunno.

J.Doe said...

It's been a long time since I have been called either so maybe I'm not qualified to leave a comment but I will.
I agree that the word cute is best used to describe little girls or animals but I don't think the phrase 'You look sexy' is appropriate in all situations.
For example, if I went to a nightclub and went to the ladies room I would so much rather hear from another patron "That dress looks cute" instead of "You look sexy!"

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

jessica - grazie. Enough with sexy people complaining about their sexiness!! heh

claudia - x

anon - Well this post in tongue in cheek. My female friends who are the same height (5'10 in the US) are never called cute. Cute is for short people. Sigh.

j. doe - good point. I think someone saying, "those shoes are cute" makes sense.

gibber said...

Yeah, I get the cute shit often too. Oddly enough, it's only when the girls are out that I get a sexy once in a while.

Eva needs to STFU. Cuz I would cut a b* to look like her.

(disclaimer, I actually would NOT cut anyone. it's just an expression)

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

gibber - hmm maybe I should take the girls out once in a while.

I know you wouldn't actually cut someone. Your parents raised you better than that!

gibber said...

You MUST bring the girls out!! They r too lovely too keep hidden :)