Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Style Inspiration - Italian Rustic by Elizabeth Helman Minchili

I bumped into Elizabeth last week in Monti which reminded me to buy her book.

This book is gorgeous. Packed with photographs of farm houses (interiors and exteriors) in Tuscany and Umbria, the book also gives clear details on how to bring this type of decor into your own home.

Elizabeth's husband, an Italian architect, contributed to the book and I found the how-to sections very accessible. They also highlighted several artisans in the region. This is so important. I get why fast fashion, fast food, cheap furniture, etc. is successful but there's a value and quality to craftsmanship that cheap and fast could never replace. Never.

Italian Rustic
's chapters cover flooring, kitchens, outdoor spaces, bedrooms, roofs, etc.

Even if you're not going to buy a place in Tuscany or Umbria soon or redecorate your home, this book is a great read. I have an issue with home decor books that skimp on the photography. That makes no sense to me.

I'm obsessed with outdoor showers and on page 174 there is one on a terrace. I DIE! Really, to have an outdoor shower off your bedroom or bathroom? Sigh. Someday.

6 comments:

erin said...

oh no. I dont' think I could handle this right now. too much Italy-dreaming already!

The book sounds amazing!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

erin - you'll love it. Seriously. It's bellissima.

Kim B. said...

sounds heavenly. congrats to her!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

kim b - heavenly is the right word.

Marla said...

Just found your blog from the Italian Rustic fan page. I love all things Italian! I'll have to buy this book for my eye candy and living room table. Your personal story sounds interesting, too. From a burned out Hollywood Exec to Italy... Would love to know more. You can connect with me at Marla@ecreativebiz.com. Ciao!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

marla - it's very good (and helpful) eye candy. Enjoy!