Friday, December 03, 2010

Flashback Friday - Big Deal On Madonna Street/I Soliti Ignoti

A giant of Italian cinema died this week. Mario Monicelli was 95. The New York Times has a nice write up about his career.

His film 1958 film I SOLITI IGNOTI (English title, BIG DEAL ON MADONNA STREET) is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. Starring Vittorio Gassman, Toto and Marcello Mastroianni, the movie is hilarious and moving.

It was later remade twice in America. The latest version was the film WELCOME TO COLLINGWOOD staring George Clooney.

Mr. Monicelli had a cameo in the film UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN. He played the older gentleman who left flowers by the shrine every day.

RIP Mr. Monicelli.

5 comments:

Eleonora Baldwin said...

Lovely tribute.

Another wonderful article (in Italian) is Conchita De Gregorio's farewell to Mario M.

Ciao

milanese masala said...

He really was one of the greatest. I love I Soliti Ignoti and L'Armata Brancaleone. And he was outspoken up until the end. Have you seen this interview from Santoro's show? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIUwzqYvfp8

Lucia said...

Ooooh so sad! He made me cry with joy when he finally tipped his hat at Diane Lane in the Tuscan Sun!

gibber said...

Oh my GOD. I just read in Entertainment Weekly how he died. SO SAD! He must have been so miserable. *cries*

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Eleonara - thank for the article.

milanese - he was. Thanks for the link. I heard about it but didn't see it.

lucia - I loved that scene too.

gibber - very sad. I can't imagine.