Thursday, June 03, 2010

Some photos from the Festa della Repubblica parade

Yesterday was "Festa della Repubblica" a national holiday celebrating when Italian citizens voted to become a republic after the end of World War II.

I haven't been to a parade in ages. They're not a big deal in L.A. compared to NYC. When I lived in New York there seemed to be a parade every other weekend, St. Patrick's Day, Puerto Rican Day, Dominican Day, Halloween, The Macy's Thanksgiving Day, Gay Pride Day, West Indian Day, Easter Hat, etc.

It was gorgeous out, so I decided to walk over to Piazza Venezia. The parade route was packed. I bumped into two American expats who live near me and watched the parade with them.

It was fun. I cracked up when people cheered for the AMA (sanitation) trucks. They weren't part of the parade but were there to clean up after the horses.

I wasn't able to get good photos of the various troops. I was too far back. I felt sorry for the scuba unit. It was too hot to wear such outfits. The nuns (I think they were nurses) were looking sharp.

The highlight was the military jets flying over Piazza Venezia at the end. As much as we all dislike that huge building, the planes flying over it was a nice visual.

The planes, the planes


This boat reminded me of the show "Miami Vice" for some reason.


I guess the dog was too tired to walk.


Gorgeous horse.


The planes over Piazza Venezia

5 comments:

rinaz said...

Ah yes, I saw the temporary seats at the colosseo a week back and the hubby told me that there will be a parade.

We missed it though, not looking forward to the human crunch! We did have a lovely walk being all touristy and all in the area of Piazza Navona :-)

Thanks for the pics!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Oh I love a parade - especially if it involves Italy and the tricolore.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

rinaz - you're welcome.

ccl - same here!

2friends cooking said...

Thanx for the pictures.I only saw the tricolore out of my window after the noise almost blasted us out!Love your blog!specially the reads.ciao Ren

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

2fc - thank you!