Thursday, October 22, 2009

UP IN THE AIR/JULIE & JULIA

Loved this movie. I read the script after a friend told me it was one of her favorites of the year. She is very hard on material so when she likes something, I read it.

My hours at at the Festival are a little crazy so I haven't been able to see too many films. I feel a little out of sorts because I can't work on my scripts. Looking forward to getting back to writing next week.

I did make it to a press screening of UP IN THE AIR. It makes me sad that these kind of films are becoming rarer and rarer. Remember films like BROADCAST NEWS? Those days are over. The studios are now owned by big multinational corporations who think making movies and light bulbs are the same thing. They are not!

Anyway, the entire cast was fantastic. The movie is bittersweet but there were some laugh out loud moments. The audience clapped at the end. I thought there was one third act sequence that was a little on the nose (and not in the script) but still, this was one of the best movies I've seen this year.

Below is one of the trailers.



I saw JULIE & JULIA, enjoyed it as well. Like many others, I really loved the Julia part. Meryl Streep, as always, was fantastic. She and Stanley Tucci had so much chemistry. I admit it, I choked up when he said how much he loved her.

To me the movie was inspiring because it celebrated having passion. Julia Child was not supposed to have that kind of life. She found her way, later in life and she had a great spirit. I've spent way too many years around people who were the opposite, negative, angry and bitter. I'm getting older, I don't have time or space in my life for that kind of energy anymore. Basta.

Before the movie I found myself in line next to a "talker" who told me her husband just left her after 30 plus years of marriage, her child was in a coma (she's recovered now) and she just lost her job. What does one say to hearing news like that from a stranger? I told her I hoped the movie would lift her spirits and that 2010 would be a better year. She sat next to me and she did enjoy the movie, laughing and crying.

So when I get down on this bat shit crazy industry I work in, I must remember how it feels when I sit in a theater, the lights go down and the opening credits start. That's the reason I work in film.

11 comments:

Kim B. said...

Wow, that *is* a lot to lay on a stranger . . and then to sit next to her too?!

The day I went to see Julia/Julie here was one of my favorite days. I had been waiting so long for it to come here because I had been so inspired by Julia Child's autobiography for just the reason you mentioned. I went to a matinee screening and there weren't too too many of us there, maybe 20 or 30 people. I could definitely tell there were a few other US expat ladies there!

The funny thing for me is that I seem to always laugh earlier than anyone else in the theater. This doesn't bother me so much, but I think it is embarrassing if I go to the movies with someone. I don't know, my brain seems to process things faster or something (I don't mean that to sound snobby, I just don't know how else to explain it) and I ALWAYS end up laughing before everybody else. And I could definitely tell that was happening a lot in the Julie/Julia movie. Also because some of the other spectators were French and so they didn't "get" some of the jokes that are more cultural.

Anyway i had a divine time and now I will look for "up in the air" as opposed to "up" (although it's supposed to be great too!).

I can't wait until your movies are in the theater and I can go make a fool of myself there too.

J.Doe said...

Yeah, what does one say to a complete stranger who unloads all her problems in life on you? At a movie theater to see a supposedly fun film no less. Your response was good though, much better than what mine would have been.

glamah16 said...

I love the whole story of Paul and Julia Child. Her life is an inspiration and shows you as mother would say 'The race isnt always to the swift'. She worked hard and found her true love in carere and partner late in life.
I wasnt to excited about the Julie parts, but as a food blogger it was a great movie that held my interest.

Stacy said...

I'm going to the Festival tomorrow to see Julie & Julia! I've been wanting to see that film for ages!
Not entirely sure how it works though-- I just plan to head up there around 6pm to buy tickets for the 6:30 show. Can I even do that?

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

kim b - thanks! I hope some make it to the theaters. Regarding the oversharing stranger, it was a trip. I felt bad for the lady. I laughed a little early during the screening but it was definitely because some things were lost in translation. There's nothing wrong with laughing early. You're the type of person comedy TV shows that tape live need. :)

j. doe - talking about a downer. I guess she was in a bad place.

glamah16 - I loved their story too. So romantic (made me a little sad about the lack of romance in my own life.)

stacy - did you get to see the movie? it's playing a few times. I don't know if it was sold out. If so no worries the movie opens in Italy this weekend and the several theaters in Rome show movies in Original Language, like the Warner's and the Metropolitan (you can Google for times/address)

Stacy said...

No I didn't get to see it :(
I arrived around 5:30pm and it was already sold out. I should have bought tickets online... if I could figure out how the system worked. lol. But it was cool just being there, watching the red carpet stuff. People were going crazy about a whole bunch of celebs I didn't know.
I'll check out the movie at the Met next week, thanks. I think its cheaper there anyway :)

Diana Strinati Baur said...

I am so with you on angry, negative people. Done. Over.

Glad you enjoyed the films, the festival, and happier yet that you look forward to getting back to writing.

Rosa said...

Thanks for the review. I'll look out for this one - but then again it's hard to resist George!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

stacy - I heard the day of the "New Moon" event, the red carpet was bananas...lots of teenagers.

diana - I can't do it anymore. They just suck all the life out of me. We all have our bad days but to spend time with someone who is angry 24/7 is too exhausting.

scintilla - George is so funny (deadpan humor) in this.

Jannelle said...

I loved Julia and Julia! I watched it multiple times. I just wanted to say that I love your blog. I also have a passion for writing and I went back to school to nurture it. I trying to learn Italian as well. Where did you get your inspiration from? I was told by a good friend (at times I wonder if she is or not) that I lacked orginiality because I get inspiration for my stories through my surroundings. Isn't that what all writers do?

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

jannelle - thanks for the nice compliment!

Writers are influenced by their surroundings as are other creative people, like fashion designers, photographer, chefs, etc. etc. There are no "new stories." It's all about execution, you're POV and what you bring to the story you want to tell.

As for what inspires me...that's a long post I need to write one day.