Friday, October 30, 2009

Flashback Friday – Gladys Knight and the Pips "I Heard Through The Grapevine"

A little before my time but my parents and their friends were big fans.

I'm not sure how young Gladys was in the early '70s (pretty young) but she was bringing it. Like I said yesterday, good thing she came up in the '70s. She would have a hard time getting a record contract now.

"If I Were Your Woman" and "I've Got To Use My Imagination" are also fantastic songs.

What the hell happened to American R&B? Can we please bring back live instruments, a little bass, some drums, something other than machines?

Sorry but most of this current sampled stuff sounds soulless. I wish artists like Jill Scott were topping the charts. When they sing you feel something, like there's actually some emotion in their voices. I miss Lauryn Hill. L Boogie, where are you?

Yeah I know I sound like an old lady but my sister is ten years younger than me, from a completely different generation and she complains about the same thing.

I love Marvin's version of this song as well. Another great artist. I miss Marvin too.

Have a great weekend.

4 comments:

Bren said...

yes can we please bring back real R & B!! how about Anita Baker and her awesomess...people today just don't get it! :) love the throwback.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Bren - what happened to Anita Baker? Did she stop singing?

Tracie P. said...

i LOVELOVELOVE marvin gaye, but his version of this song was kinda vanilla. gladys's is SUPER SASSY and i love it.

and double yes on the lauryn hill. her miseducation album was SO good...shame she's not putting more out there.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

tracie b - I like this uptempo version as well.

Can you believe it's been 10 years since the Miseducation album dropped?