Thursday, April 16, 2009

Cy Twombly at the Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna



Last week I met my friend E. at the museum. She knows a great deal about art and it was fun to see this exhibit with her.

This show was at the Tate and Bilboa. Now it's here in Rome to celebrate Cy's 80th birthday. Cy first came to Italy in the 1950s. He married an Italian woman and used to live not far from Campo de Fiori. He still lives in Italy.

Cy Twombly is one of the most influential American artists of the 20th century. This show is fantastic. The space is incredible and really does his work justice. Some of these pieces are being displayed together for the first time and you can see the evolution of his work.

The museum is located just north of Villa Borghese. I don't think many tourists know or visit this museum. It's a great space and the cafe next door is nice. With the exception of a large group of elementary school children (who all had to stop and coo at my friend's beautiful baby) E. and I had to museum to ourselves. I assume it gets more crowded during the weekend.

Some modern art leave me cold. I just don't get it. But Twombly's work really moves me. I can see the Italian influence and Greek mythology influence. It's interesting how some of his paintings look more like drawings.

2 comments:

Ciao Chow Linda said...

That museum has some great permanent exhibits too.It's amazing how little frequented it is. Wish I could be there to see the Twombly exhibit.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

CCL - yes it does have some permanent collections. It's a great space. Maybe the Twombly will move to NYC next? I don't know.