Wednesday, December 10, 2008

What’s Cooking Wednesday – Strawberry Rhubarb Tarts

For more WCW recipes check out Shan's place.

A few weeks ago I was walking through Trastevere and saw this store.



I saw stalks of rhubarb and had to buy them. I haven't had any since I moved here. Strawberry Rhubarb is one of my favorite food combos. The sweetness of the strawberries cut the tartness of the rhubarb.

I love Strawberry Rhubarb pie with a crumble top. However, I didn't have the time or energy to look for oats. I had pasty sheets in my freezer (I was going to make a goat cheese tart at some point) and used them instead. Not sure when rhubarb is in season again (spring?). When it is I will be making these.


Strawberry Rhubarb Tart

Follow the instructions for defrosting your pasty sheets or make your own. Cut the dough into 7-inch rounds. Put them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Place sheets into the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.

For the filling:
1 pound rhubarb, cut into 1 inch pieces (approximately 3 cups)
1 pound fresh strawberries, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/3 cup all purpose flour
3/4 - 1 cup granulated white sugar

Combine the rhubarb, strawberries, flour and sugar.

Take the pastry out of the fridge and place some of the filling in the center, leaving a border or an inch or so (You might need to leave closer to two inches depending on how much filling you use. I didn't leave enough and some of my tarts spilled over).

Place the tarts back in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Bake tarts on the center rack for approx. 25-30 minutes until the crust is golden.

I'm sure this taste great with some good vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream.

Makes 8 tarts.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never had rhubarb, strano no? Sooner or later I want to try these because I love fruit desserts and I'm curious about the combo.

glamah16 said...

Very nice. Your lucky in that your produe looks more appealing than whats available here.I just had a thought. I wonder what goat cheese and rhubarb combo might taste like. It could work maybe?Think brie and apricots.

gibber said...

this looks DELIGHTFUL!

Sherry said...

Strawberry rhubarnb is deelish! I wish I could have one of your tarts right now.

Jessica said...

Delicious! I love strawberry rhubarb. I never realized they even had it here.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

joanne - it's very good w/a sweet fruit like strawberries.

glamah16 - interesting. I'm not very adventurous when it comes to cheese. I live goat cheese but have never combined it with fruit. Something to think about. Yes the produce here is outstanding.

gibber - :)

sherry - I wish I could have one now too. I guess I'll have to wait. I don't think they sell frozen rhubarb here.

jessica - I just happened to see it that morning on my way to doria phamphili. I came back later and bought some.

Diana Strinati Baur said...

ragazza, this looks just scrumptious!! If I lived in Rome me and my sweet tooth would be at your door saying "hellew--- anyone home....."

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

diana - ha. It's the first time I've baked since I moved here. I will be doing more of it (unfortunately for my waistline).

Unknown said...

I love strawberry rhubarb - love the idea of using puff pastry.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I've never had rhubarb either. Looks great! And what a cute little frutteria :)

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

city girl - I just started using puff pastry last year (thanks to Ina and Giada ). It's great. I always keep sheets in my freezer.

michelle - It's very yummy! I've only had it with strawberry. I've passed that frutteria many times. I love seeing what's in season.

Tracie P. said...

that looks gooooood!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

tracie b - grazie!!

Petulia said...

this looks great! I am totally going to try this:-)