Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Finally the scaffolding is down from Bernini’s “Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi/Four Rivers Fountain”.

Italy has one of the lowest birth rates of industrialized nations. Therefore every child in the country must have been in the Historic Center yesterday. I have never seen so many strollers in my life. Ha.

It took me 15 minutes to cross Piazza Navona.

I met a friend of a friend for language exchange/lunch at ‘Gusto. We met at 12:30 which was a little early for lunch. Good thing we did. Fifteen minutes later, the line for a table was insane. Families everywhere. We left at 3:30 (it was a loooong lunch) and there was still a line.

A few weeks ago Jessica posted a fantastic photo of the fountain at night. The scaffolding was up when I was here February of 2007. The restoration is done. Scaffolding came down over the weekend.

I shot this the other week when the scaffolding was sill up. I didn’t notice the clouds' reflection on the glass until after I downloaded the photo to my iPhoto.


Yesterday, I took the photos below. It was so crowded I couldn’t get a better shot of the whole fountain. Bernini is one of my favorite artists


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great! I'm looking forward to getting back there and seeing it all cleaned up.

Jessica said...

So funny, I just put a comment on my post saying I'd noticed the scaffolding came down. Went to Piazza Navona to take in the market last night with M and it was insanely full of people. Nice to see all the families out and about. Great to hear about your language exchange, hope it went well and let's get together again soon.

Petulia said...

I cannot wait to come back home and see this. Great pics A. I love the cloud

Korie said...

Amazing! That's so beautiful. Hans and I are hoping to go to some small Greek islands in a couple years...I wish we could afford Italy though.
Sigh....

Lenoxave said...

The statues and fountain look gorgeous. Itlay is a country that deserves a repeat visit from me.

Anonymous said...

Brava. the fountain looks so much better in that photo. My husband and I were disappointed in May when we saw it with all the scaffolding!

Unknown said...

Great pictures :)

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

rob - it looks great.

jessica - it is nice to see all the families out. Looking forward to getting together soon.

petulia - grazie.

lilaspecs - I wish I could travel too. Hopefully things will pick up in '09.

sdg1844 - yes it does.

eryn - I was wondering when it was coming down, then poof over the weekend they were done.

city girl - thank you.

Anonymous said...

One more reason to return to Rome :) Great photos!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

girasoli - grazie.