Thursday, March 27, 2008

Terroni, tears and "this sucks."

Last night was the final evening for the "Front Row Girls".

One summer we got into the habit of seeing every crappy movie that opened. There were some that I drew the line for but yes I got sucked into watching "You Got Served" among others. One member of our party (not naming names) always ran late so we would get stuck sitting in the front row, hence the name.

In the last few years we have spent less time together. My three friends have serious boyfriends, work is hectic, and we don't live close to each other. However, when we do see each other it's like no time has passed at all.

We went to Terroni. I haven't been there for dinner yet and the place was packed. I thought the "no substitutions policy" would scare people. Most of the negative comments I have heard about Terroni is regarding that policy. I don't see what the big deal is. If you have food allergies or are a vegeterian there are things to eat as the menu is varied. However, it's an authenic Southern Italian restaurant. Why should they add/delete things because some people think they know better than the Italian chef and Calabrian owners what should be in these types of dishes?

The food was as good as the original in Toronto. My friends were very sweet to give me some euros for my trip. After dinner we stopped by my place so they could pick up some furniture. One final hug, lots of tears, and as one friend left my apartment she said, "this sucks."

13 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Well there's no substitutions in most Calabrian homes either...unless you're a mammone ;)

Does suck leaving friends. A lot :(

glamah16 said...

It really irks me when people start with their dietary demands at restaurants. Once I worked PT as a hostess and this lady had a guest that was allergic( or just thought she was) to gluten,salt, oil,dairy, root veggies,shellfish,meat,poultry etc. When I asked the chef what he could do for her, he suggested she stay home.
Im sure a lot of cases are legit, but for the most part I think some people like the attention their restrictions impose.

Giulia said...

Yes, it does suck! But, just as you're leaving close friends behind, you will be making new ones here. Rome is full of expats and I am without a doubt, positive that you will find great friends here too! I can't beleive how close you are to being here.

As for the Terroni, I don't think it's a bad thing about their "no substitutions policy." Besides, if I was alergic to foods, I wouldn't trust anyone other than myself preparing my food. That's just my opinion though.

Jen said...

It's sounding more and more like a bittersweet week. You've certainly made lovely, devoted friends over your time in L.A.

gibber said...

THIS DOES SUCK. even tho i NEVER see you, i do talk to you all the time. I miss you already

Liane Spicer said...

"...parting is such sweet sorrow..."

Or something like that.

Anonymous said...

There must be something in the air. I'm say my goodbyes this week too.
My bags are packed and my belongings long gone.
I've decided after almost 8 years to leave my job, my apartment and the city I reside in. However, I don't have a destination mapped out yet. I'm going on a journey. Even though I'm 37 years old, I feel just like I did when I was 17 and leaving home to backpack around North America.
I feel free. (and a bit scared too)

I'm dedicating this song by Morcheeba to you and to all those people seeking out the unknown and chasing their dreams.

Good luck to you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yViHGA_AJmk

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

bleeding espresso - there weren't any in my house either. ha. I am going to really miss my friends but hopefully I will see them once the darn dollar rebounds. :)

glamah16 - Please, folks out here are crazy with all their food drama. Some allergies are no joke but the whole "ordering a salad, then asking everything to be removed except the lettuce" thing is too much.

giulia - thanks for the little pep talk.
I agree with you. If certain foods made me ill I would not order a dish made with said ingredients then demand they take them out. What if things get cross contaminated?

jen - yes I have. Thank god for email and skype!

gibber - I miss you as well. I mean who can I talked to about important things like Lauren messing up that gown in Paris? :)

wordtryst - so true.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

ms. violetta - wow!! congrats and good luck to you as well. Thanks for the link.

BigCNYC said...

I think I've been to this restaurant. Is it on Fairfax? I remember the substitution policy because my beloved cousin has food allergies and she was not happy that they could not make changes. In the end she found a plain pasta and after the wine, we were all good.

Cherrye said...

:-( Yea, it sucks.

You'll feel better once you are here. I promise!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

bigcnyc - it's near Faifax on Beverly. Glad your cousin was able to find something. Plain pasta is simple but sooooo good.

cherrye - thank you....I hope so.

Liz Dwyer said...

Oh, this made me get a little teary-eyed. I'm so happy for you, but it is sort of bittersweet!