Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Director Anthony Minghella is dead?

I know his producing partner, director/actor Sydney Pollack is sick with cancer but I am stunned. Mighella was only 54. He just directed Jill Scott in the movie "The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency" based on the popular books by Alexander McCall Smith. The movie will be on British televsion this week and turned into a series for HBO here in the Sates.

Last year Minghella and Pollack spoke to this small group of female Hollywood execs I belong to. It was an amaizing evening. They are passionate about life, the arts and it shows in their work. They are filmmakers not hack directors. I am just so sad to hear this news. I know two execs at his company. They were dealing with Sydney illness and now this.

Last week several of my friends went to the funeral of a women (she used to be an assistant to a studio head) who died suddenly of a brain aneurysm at 40. If there is something you want to accomplish in live...don't wait, do it now. If there is someone you love and don't say it to them often enough, start. In the last couple of weeks I have heard of so many deaths. A colleague's boyfriend died in a car accident, my dad's best friend from a stroke. A friend's wife died of cancer. She was only in her 30s.

You don't know when something like this can happen to you. It's a joke to think we can somehow control these things.

Hereis an article about the Oscar's
winner death.

The trailer for The Talented Mr. Ripley.


R.I.P. Mr. Minghella

9 comments:

Jen said...

This is, indeed, very sad. I lost my sister in 1997, and that was my wake-up call. And that's why folks need to move to Italy or write novels (me) NOW. Life is never a foregone conclusion.

erin said...

wow, this is sad. Talented Mr Ripley is my most favorite film, and I've seen the special features with him tons of times. I think his screenplay was even better than the book (which hardly ever happens). He was a very talented man.

Yes, live life NOW - b/c no one ever knows...

Anonymous said...

tracey k/ohio: very sad, indeed. sometimes I get very scared & anxious over not living life to the fullest or spending quality time w/family/friends cause I know this life is not 'dress rehearsal' - the show is on now. I lost one of my brothers in 2000 & not a day goes by that he's not in my thoughts & heart.

PS: I loved the Talented Mr. Ripley.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Jen - so sorry to hear about your sister.

erin - yes, he was.

tracey k - sorry for your loss. I also get anxious over the same things.

gibber said...

so sad. reminds me of DH's mom. we went shopping on saturday, she was gone on sunday. life is unexpectedly tragic at times.

glamah16 said...

Yes Life is fleeting and you never knw. I never would have imagined being without my mother and father at my age.But I am.Live for the moment(with respect and love for all) and try to have no regrets!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

gibber - so true.

glamah16 - That must be very tough. You are right, life is fleeting.

Liane Spicer said...

All I know about this director is that he made one of my favourite movies ever: The English Patient. Every time I watch it I'm awed on so many levels. And I did a blog post a few months ago about the Alexander McCall Detective Agency series, which I love. Minghella knew how to choose his projects.

A terrible loss.

As for living life: NOW is all we have. I have no regrets about my decision to start living on my own terms. It's not an easy ride, but it's the only one - to me anyway.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

wordtryst - I was so looking forward to the series. They shot on location in Botswana.

Yes it's scary to take a big leap but I would rather try than say "I wish I did...."