Thursday, October 11, 2007

Writer's striking November 1st? Nooooooo

It is not looking good in Hollywood. One friend told me she heard the studios will "lock out" the writers. The studios have already put the word out, they are not buying anything until they see what happens with the strike. The two sides are so far apart, everyone was assuming there would be strike, but in June '08 when the directors and actor's contracts were up.

The writers would actually cause more damage if they strike now. TV would be screwed. The entire season would come to a grinding halt until the strike was over. Any feature film shooting now or 1st quarter next year that needs any kind of script work would also be in trouble.

Most members of the Writer's Guild are not rich Hollywood players who make $1 million a script. Writers are treated like crap in Hollywood. I have had several projects where writers were hired and fired like it's not a big deal. I think we forget without a script there is no movie.

If this strike lasts long, the business will take months to recover. Personally, I will be out of job. The company said they would try to pay me part time or something but that would barely cover my rent. I am not going to stress out about it. If they go out November 1st I hope I could keep my job until at least the end of the year.

This would move up my timetable for Italy. There is no need for me to stay in L.A. without a job.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you believe in divine intervention, maybe this is your signal to start packing and looking seriously into your new life abroad. If the film industry in the US takes a beating, it can only mean good things for the European industry, where you will be, with experience and a willingness to adapt. They would be lucky to get your talent in Italy.

Go pack!

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Huh. I think this is big ploy so all those writers can work on their novels during NaNoWriMo ;)

Seriously though, whatever happens is meant to happen...and we'll happily accept you in Italy just a bit sooner than planned :)

Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

I knew your post would finish with that sentence.

Well, you know what you can do...I'm here! :)

Anonymous said...

tracey k/ohio: Good for you for not worrying. Sounds like the strike will force you to have a chance at your dream after all. Isn't it funny/crazy how life is? Continue to NOT worry & see where the chips fall.

gibber said...

I like your attitude about this. no point in stressing about something you can't affect at all. so, if it happens, it's God's way of trying to tell you to get thee to Italy post haste. :)

Kathy said...

You know that saying about everything happening for a reason?

Well...

"This would move up my timetable for Italy."

:-)

Jen said...

Writers are generally treated like crap. And yes, Michelle's probably right, lol. I'm not doing nanowrimo simply because I'm already in the middle of something and don't want to drop it to write a different project, but I'm still shooting for my 50,000 words.

I hope this gets you to Italy sooner.

Anonymous said...

Everything happens for a reason.

Get thee to Italy! Subito!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

anon - thank you

sognatrice - lol, maybe it's is a ploy

sara - Yes, I know what I can do. hehe

tracey k - it is so against my nature not to stress out but I am getting better.

gibber - Yes, it's a sign.

kathy - I am going to take a negative (unemployment) and turn it into a postive.

jen - It's crazy. I don't understand why screenwriters (esp in film...TV is a writer's medium) are treated so poorly.

tina - that is so true. I'm lucky I will have a little cushion from my production bonus. Without it, I don't think I would be able to move.

Paula Puryear Martin said...

Oh thank God. Someone who agrees with me. Okay, actually, I did get some people to agree with me, but only after I was called an idiot, a studio shill, etc. on Artfulwriter.com. Seems emotions are running away with us. My point (my only point) is that we need to think strategically, rather than emotionally, and be clear about what we really want (and think we can get) from these negotiations and/or (god forbid) strike. Seems people think that the mere act of striking will guarantee results, though history does not bear this out. Naturally (lawyer cap on) it's all about negotiating power, and we have less than the AMPTP. Thankfully, someone decided to move towards a real discussion. I suggested last week that it should be us (which is what got me lambasted), but turns out it was them, and that's a start. Pray God this all works out because I am definitely among the majority of non-millionaire writers and I've got a screenplay to sell, a writing assignment to get, and all those other things that won't be happening if we strike. Not that it's all about me, but hey, it's all about me :-)

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Paula - I do hope there isn't a strike but if they are going to do it...they should go now to cause the most damage. Yes people are emotional but when you are dealing with corporations who tell Wall Street that profits are booming and then say to talent "we don't make money" folks are going to be angry. When it comes to above the line talent, the writers are def. treated the worst. I find that fascinating because without a script there would be no need for actors or a director.

I think the studios put the residual issue on the table knowing they would pull it...so I am not going to pat them on the back. They should have brought up such a crazy issue in the first place.