Saturday, September 08, 2007

Roti, Bagels, Clive Owen, and George Clooney

After a muggy, rainy day yesterday, this morning was glorious. I tried to sleep but still woke up at 6:30 a.m. after only 3 hours sleep. (more on that later)

I went for a walk in the Beaches area. Very pretty neighborhood with a park and a boardwalk on Lake Ontario. The main street, Queen Street East is full of funky stores and cool restaurants.

I think this sign sums it up.



Yesterday at the production office they ordered roti for lunch. I can't rememer the last time I had it, back in NYC over nine years ago? It was delicious. This bread/dish is popular in India, Afganistan, and the Caribbean esp. in Trinidad and Tobago.

I had no idea Montreal-style bagels had such a big reputation. I stopped by a place at the St. Lawrence market that is known for the bagels. I have no words. I will have to explore this market more. It was listed by Food and Wine as one of the top farmer's market in North America. This place is amazing. My apartment is only a few blocks away. Check out the purple peppers.



Last night we went to dinner with the studio suits to some super fancy place call SuSur. It was a tasting menu and while I thought some of the courses, the size of dice were very good, for a party that size maybe it was too formal. At one point one of the actors was saying how great the movie RATATOUILLE is. When the waitress told us the chef wanted to give us a tour of the kitchen, someone said "only if there are rats cooking!" She looked at us like "WTF is wrong with you?"

The unit publicist arranged for a car to take us to some Festival party at Much Music. The street was shut down and the party was crowded. I saw our director's assistant and told him to hang with us. Two of the people in our party were supposed to meet up with Clooney. We went to one bar in Windsor Arms and as we left we saw three young women who said not to go to the other party down the street, it was over. She said "We're going to George Clooney's Michael Clayton post screening party downtown." One of the guys said "that is the party we are looking for". She said "No, you won't be able to get in." One of the actors they said this to (true he is from overseas but come on) was in a movie with George and knows him. ha

I thought it was bold that they basically hopped into our limo (I rode in another car with my boss). We get to the party and the same girls who said "you won't be able to get into the party" were able to get into the VIP section because they were with us. I waved at Clive (damn, he is so handsome) and saw two of my friends from L.A. who are in town for the festival. All the big Warner Bros execs were there. There was a service elevator with all this security and my boss and I went downstairs. He saw George and I hid behind the SUV so I didn't look like I was gawking (damn, he is so handsome). Hello, I must be professional. I spoke to my counterpart at his company.

We left the TIME/Michael Clayton party after 2:00 a.m. and I had to get home. I really enjoyed spending time with some of our cast members. One of the actors speaks, Arabic, French, Italian, Spanish, and English so he was throwing Italian words at me all night. He also thought it was bizarre that I hold a French passport, have multi-lingual parents but speak no French. I am American, why on earth would I need to know another language? (kidding!)

12 comments:

gibber said...

man, it sounds like you are having a GREAT time!! um, hello. clive owen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i don't have anything to add to that.

OH. Mom, dad and I watched the movie you co-produced. We're so proud! It's a good flick, if a little depressing. damn. dude who plays the cop is FINE.

Giulia said...

Ha ha @ "Food here is Fierce!"

Hey, what's Clooney doing over there. I could have sworn I read a quote from him once along the lines of "Italy is so much better" regarding not having to be stressed out over work. I guess he does his work in the states and comes here to unwind, eh?! Good for him. And great for you that you get to be so close. I would have probably hid behind an SUV too! lol

Jen said...

Sounds like a great time! My mom's best friend LOVES Clive Owen, and I do, too, but as an actor. She's 78 and has a major crush, lol.

Thanks for stopping by to check out the Pavarotti piece.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

gibber - now I have a cold damic! :) thanks for the support.

guilia - George does spend most of his time in Italy. he edited his last film there but he still has a house in L.A. He is here at the Toronto Film Festival because one of his films, is showing here. Man I bet those FACTS OF LIFE girl wished they had paid more attention to him than to Mrs. Garrett.

jen - You're welcome.

Good for your mom's friend, young at heart. She has great taste. LOL

Kathy said...

Sounds like you are having a great time! Correct me if I'm wrong, but just from your writing it sounds like you are so much more relaxed than you were in LA!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like so much fun. My goodness Clooney... l would have fainted by the SVU (his just to damn cute)!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

kathy - it is weird my hours are longer, production is hectic but I don't feel stressed out.

confessions - yes he is. :)

Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

You are so glam! ;-) And I am loving the addition of photos to your blog, brava! Keep it coming. I need a bit of stardust in my daily life.

Glad production is going well. Complimenti!! I'm excited for you.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

shelley - grazie! I am still learning how to use my camera.

Anonymous said...

Did you see Witherspoon & Gyllenhaal at the party?

Liane Spicer said...

Roti! Yum!

I'd hide behind the SUV too, but not from Clooney. I don't get the fuss about that guy, honest. Now, Clive Owen! ***swoon***

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

anon- no I didn't see them.

wordtyrt - I didn't get the Clooney thing during the E.R. years but now? Pics don't do him justice.