Monday, July 09, 2007

A little italian, lime granita, Charm School, a 124 mph serve and some Ramazotti

I sent my ms to my editor over the weekend. I have my mornings back for the next few weeks. Time to get back on track with my workouts and Italian.

I couldn't sign up for Italian this summer because of the movie schedule. I was supposed to be in Advanced Italian, (hahaha), instead I started to review from the very beginning. I'm in the middle of Pimsleur Level One. So far no c'è male (not too bad). I started Chapter One of my Prego textbook. My goal is to finish a chapter a week (well until I get to the dreaded Passato Remoto and the other more difficult verb tenses).

On Saturday I met a friend from class to practice. I stopped by Bay Cities Italian deli in Santa Monica which was packed at 4:00 in the afternoon. I couldn't believe how much traffic there was at the beach. Crazy. The bread there is so good I was tempted to start eating it while I sat in traffic on Lincoln Blvd. I had a good time on Saturday, a nice bottle of wine, salad from her garden and great if (somewhat butchered) converstion. I bought two books to help me get up to speed: "Better Reading Italian" and "Mastering Italian Vocabulary".

I made a fantastic and super easy Lime Granita...perfect for another hot weekend. I have been looking throught "The Perfect Scoop" cookbook and there are so many recipes I want to try.

The Flavor of Love, Charm School Reunion. Larissa might want to sign up for anger management. One day she is going to say something to the wrong person and get a serious beat down.

Venus Williams entered Wimbledon ranked number 31. She won helped by a serve clocking in at 124 miles per hour! Jesus. How does someone even return a serve like that? I miss playing tennis.

While at my friend's house she was playing Eros's CD "Eros". I know, I know. One of my friends cannot stand his voice...too nasally and yes some of the songs are cheesy. Well, since I usually have no idea what he is saying, the lyrics don't bother me.
There is one song on this CD I love "Memorie". It has a great melody. The last verse is:

e riscoprire come un dolore
senza capire perché
ricostruire un’emozione
fino a morire per te...

fino a morire per te...

Sounds molto bello in Italian. I looked up the translation on the web. I think the person did a literal one. Hmm seems a little intense in English.

and I rediscover
an unexplainable pain
I reconstruct an emotion
until I die for you...

until I die for you...

12 comments:

Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

pics pics pics! Lime granita sounds good, and I have some leftover from the watermelon granita! :)

Glad you're enjoying the cookbook - isn't it inspiring??

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

sara - if everything goes as plan w/the movie, I'm getting a camera in a few weeks. finally.

the cookbook is great. I have to cut everything in half, since I live by myself.

Anonymous said...

CHE RICO!

mmMmMmmM!

Ciao

Anonymous said...

Ok its a little cheesy but l just love eros Ramazzotti. Well lm at a bit of Gigi D'Alessio, Javonotti and Laura Paulssini.. The lyrics seem to capture what the heart is trying to say so eloquently.

Giulia said...

My wedding video was taken hostage by Eros Ramazzotti songs! :)
The lime granita sounds yummy. That's great that you will be getting a camera soon!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

calabrisella - era molto bouna!

confessions - I haven't heard of D'Alessio but I love Laura Pausini as well.

guilia - hello, his name is Eros of course he would be all up in your wedding video. :)

Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

Che brava, livello avanzato! Come diciamo qua... amazza! (wow!) Remember you can always practice with me!!
Hope all is well with the movie (fingers crossed). As much as I'd love you here in Rome sooner, I also want you to build a nest egg so you can live here without having to scramble too much for funds.

Cherrye said...

I am very impressed with your Italian classes!! I NEED to get on that. DANG Grammar! lol

I, too, hope you get that camera soon. Oh yea, and 124 mph return? Venus has NOTHING on me! lol

erin said...

I'm glad you're liking Better Reading Italian - I remember you saying that you were going to get it. It's still a little hard for me to get through - but hopefully it will get easier soon!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

shelley - grazie. things seem to back on track with the movie this week. phew.

cherrye - Non mi piace grammar!!

chris & erin - so far the review is going well.

Anonymous said...

I love Eros! My Italian roommates in Tuscany rolled their eyes at me for it... many Italian's feel he's too commercialized and would go instead for other artists they felt had the soul of an artist. I still love Eros :)

As for Italian grammar, there is one thin, small, tiny helpful book that made my learning curve jump exponentially when I was learning Italian about 7 years ago and you should be able to find it without a problem. It's called English Grammar For Students of Italian. It basically lines up English and Italian grammar side by side and simplifies it. I had many "Aha!" moments with that one!.

I only had one year to learn Italian before I moved to Italy and songs saved me! :) by knowing what the lyrics meant, each time I heard a song it reinforced grammar and vocab and I felt fine when I arrived in Italy :)

Good luck... no matter how we look at it, learning a language is juuuust a ton of work!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

roam 2 rome - thanks for stopping by and the tip. I will look for the book.

Listening to music and watching movies does help me learn the language. I am trying to be patient but learning a new language as an adult is not easy.