Saturday, July 28, 2007

I am finally digital, lime granita recipe

I put my gym membership on hold for a couple months. Using that money along with some from my parents (aka, the liquidated wedding fund) I bought a digital camera.

My old Pentax 35m took some great photos. I am still learning about the features of my new camera.

I made the lime granita again. It was very, very hot today and this was perfect for a blazing day. I wanted to put a sprig of mint on top but I only had cilantro. This is not as photogenic as I would like but I'm happy I was able download photos no problem.


Lime Granita adapted from Bon Appetit

6 servings

2 cups water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh lime juice

Bring the water and sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes. Cool the syrup. Stir in the lime juice.

Transfer to a 11x7x2-inch glass baking dish. Cover and place in freezer. Use a fork and scrape every 45 minutes until frozen, about 3 hours. I used a Tupperware dish and that worked as well. You can make it 2 days ahead. Cover and keep frozen.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought my digital camera 4 years ago and love it. I love taking zillions of pictures of the same thing and then canceling the bad ones (most) for no extra charge. Of course my 4 year old camera is a dinosaur and is very obsolete, but I still like it. I would love to get a new one though. The new ones these days offer more features and are smaller. I just can't justify replacing something that's not broken and does a good job.
Enjoy your camera. What kind did you get?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what kind did you get? ;)

I got a starter digital point and shoot last year and it's been fun for me. Gonna use it today as a matter of fact.

Have a nice weekend.

avery said...

That lime granita sounds soooo good right now. It is so dang hot here.

So congrats NYC! you're a winner of the schmooze award! You swanky smchmoozer you. you can read more on my post here: http://averyinrome.blogspot.com/2007/07/im-schmoozer.html

Kathy said...

It's hot here again today too...perhaps that lime granita should be on the menu for this afternoon!

Liane Spicer said...

I plan to get a digicam whenever that elusive advance comes my way... I'd like to know what kind you got as well. I'd probably get the simplest, cheapest one I can lay hands on, but I'd really like one with zoom capabilities as I enjoy nature photography. Suspect 'cheap' and 'zoom capabilities' are mutually exclusive.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

j. doe - I bought a Canon, SD1000. I am finding it a little complicated but that could be because I'm impatient.

rose - see above. Hope you are having a nice weekend.

avery - thank you!!

kathy - it's so easy even a caveman could do it.

wordtryst - mine has zoom and the price wasn't too painful. There were cheaper brands with similar features but I have heard great things about Canon and about this model.

Unknown said...

Yay, a new camera! Can't wait to see lots of photos.

The granita looks wonderful. Once, years ago, I tried a lemon granita (not really knowing what granita was supposed to look like) - I got too impatient in the freezing process though so I just added some vodka and had a nice slushy drink.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

jess- I bet that vodka drink was super refreshing. I thought about adding some to my granita last night but I already had wine with dinner.

Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

Woo hoo!!

My two biggest recommendations: use natural light as much as possible (pull back those curtains and use the light from a window) and use your Macro mode :)

Looking forward to seeing more!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Grazie mille Sara. I look forward to taking photos during my upcoming trips.

gibber said...

YAY! you got a camera! My digital camera is the best purchase i've made in years. keep it in it's case and take care of it and it will love you for years.

i'm back (obviously). so sad. I cry everytime i leave mom and dad at the bottom security gate. even tho i'm gonna see them in a few weeks. geesh. got 1,500 work emails to muddle thru today :(

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

gibber - I know what you mean. :(