Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Sade, helping make a crappy Monday better.

I always thought she was cool as hell. Great video. The black and white photography is stunning. It's sad to see the towers



I am in the middle of downloading my CDs to my iPod. I can only download 2000 songs so I won't be able to download everything. I am almost done with "S". Jill Scott, Sting, The Stones, Shalamar (!), along with some others and of course Sade.

I am having a tough week/month/year maybe decade really (okay, perhaps I'm being melodramatic) and listening to these songs made me a little sad. I should've stopped listening but sometimes, in a warped way, listening to love songs while single can be a good thing.

I was talking to a very good friend over the weekend and her dating stories were just horrific. I can't understand all the baggage and game playing. My friend is a beautiful, talented, divorced woman in her early 30s. She isn't trying to snag a man or looking for one to "complete" her. She, like many of us, would just like to meet a nice, smart, non-crazy, not trying to break into the entertainment business, man in his 30s/40s who doesn't hate his mom/ex-wife/, isn't looking for a model/actress, not addicted to drugs/sex/alcohol and doesn't have anger management issues. Is this too freaking much to ask for?

I was down on love then listened to "Nothing Could Come Between Us." Sade is one of my favorite singer/songwriters. Her band was excellent. I'm sure if she was starting her career now, the record labels would say she was too boring and classy.

I listen to these songs and I think it would be nice to feel this way about someone. :(

I've always loved the base line in this song.


Words: sade adu
Music: sade adu, andrew hale, and stuart matthewman

I always hope that you remember
We'll never really learn the meaning of it all
What we have is strong and tender
So hold on
In the middle of the madness

When the time is running out and you're left alone
All I want is you to know that
It's strong still
Cant pull us apart

Nothing can come
Between us
Nothing can pull us apart
Can come
Between us

I always hope that you remember
What we have is strong and tender
In the middle of the madness
Hold on

So it truly is a good thing
And I always wanted you to know
There is always this
And this is everlasting
Hold on

It's about faith
It's about trust, yeah yeah
It's about faith
It's about trust

Nothing can come
Nothing can come
Nothing can come between us
Nothing can come
Nothing can come
Nothing can come between us

15 comments:

avery said...

I love Sade too! She has the best voice. ever. Hope she pulls you out of your monday blues. :)

Anonymous said...

T.K. in Ohio here: Yes, Sade was/is the classiest thing out there. Her music reminds me of when I lived in L.A. Her elegance, that smokey voice & her lyrics were mezmerizing! Wonder what she's up to now? And I agree - people wouldn't "get" her music today. Their loss.....

Hope Sade cheered you up regarding the "man" game. I have a very successful, "business-type" sister in her early 50's who has given up on the whole relationship thing. She's a great lady, but men seem to be totally intimidated by her career & blessings. She travels extensively, so she puts all of her energy into that, but when she's on down time - she's pretty lonesome. She has no one to share her nice life with, you know? I don't understand the "games" as you said. Men are missing out a lot of good women - like yourself & my sister. :-(

gibber said...

aww sis. don't be down. in a few weeks you'll be out of LA for months and that will be a good time for a new perspective on things.

i love sade. and it's sad, but i think you're right. people would NOT get her today.

i also love me some staurt matthewman!

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Sade is so smooth, so cool, so...I need to download me some of that (after I get my DSL modem of course).

He's out there, cara, just listening to Sade and wondering why the hell all the women are so fake and plastic and trying to be actresses and looking for men with money....

Or he's in Roma ;)

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

I love that song, and your S list is right in line with mine.

NYC/C, you're asking a lot for a normal good guy. And as I say that with a grimace, I am thinking of a handful (a very small handful) that I know who are good guys. They've each reminded me lately that there are good guys out there. Precious few, but there are. Guys who aren't the long list of names I've called them, who are worth knowing and spending time with. Guys who actually should be in society instead of behind bars.

I've opted for singularity, I'd rather be alone than hurt. Done taking chances, but I love romance, and love songs are the voice of romance. I hope that you and your friend are both able to meet and spend some time with guys who are worth it.
My best wishes to you...


Scarlett & Viaggiatore

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

avery - She did (a little bit) :)

t.k. - I'm not sure what she is doing. Her last CD "Lover's Rock" did quite well.

re: the man thing. Hopefully I will snap out of this funk soon.


gibber - I pray our movie doesn't get pushed. I love Stuart too. Nicole (the Sony one) and I followed him around a party Columbia had to celebrate the Fugees "The Score" CD. Speaking of the Fugees Where the hell is L' Boogie? :) I see Pras in L.A. all the time and Wyclef is doing his thing.

sognatrice - grazie for the hopeful words. I don't want to become one of those cynical women who are down on all men. I know many women like that out here and they are a little scary. That kind of negativity is not healthy.

gibber said...

L Boogie has problems. She keeps doing these shows where she shows up 2 hours late, plays songs no one knows and sounds pretty bad, appparently. not to mention, looks crazy. i thought she sounded good in dave chappelle's block party, but she looked a hot mess. she used to be so put together and fly. wycleff and rohan sure did a number on her...

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

wanderlust - to quote the great Al Green "I'm so tired of being alone". I've tried the alone thing for a while and I am sick of it. LOL

gibber - omg, I forgot about Rohan. It's too bad. She is so talented.

Kathy said...

I hope you're feeling a bit better today. Music seems to always help me out when I'm down.

And yes, there are some good men out there...keep the faith!

Liane Spicer said...

Our 'S's overlap, re Sting and Seal. I'm not even getting into the 'where are the good men' thing. My friends and I have lamented that to death. And you don't want to hear my horror stories, trust me.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

kathy - grazie. I am trying! Today was a better day.

wordtryst - Are you trying to tell me that things are tough in Trinidad? :)

Anonymous said...

Sade's 'By Your Side' (sigh) I loved this song back in 2001 when I was single. Have been single all the years since then. (sigh) ;)

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

rose - I feel your pain. :(

Liane Spicer said...

"Are you trying to tell me that things are tough in Trinidad? :)"

Same-same. Everywhere.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

wordtryst - sigh.