Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Book


A big grazie to Shelley in Rome for the fantastic idea. She read the book WHEN IN ROME: Chasing La Dolce Vita, raved about it but noticed is was only in print in Australia (where she went for her honeymoon).

I thought I was getting the book after Sara in Milan. Yesterday I went to my mailbox and found the book sent to me by Sonya (I don't know if she has a blog) from Australia. What a nice surprise. After I read it, I am to write a note in the book and send it off to Michelle in Milan (not sure if this the same Michelle with the blog). Apparently there are two books "traveling".

I started reading it last night and I'm almost done. The book is a fun memoir. Of course I freaked out a little when I saw there was an actress friend named Patrizia in her book. I have a character in my novel with the same name and occupation. I need to remember it's very propular name like Matteo, Luca etc. Also all the American/British/Australian in Italy books have very similar stories about the cultural differences between their home countries and Italy. It's how the story is told and the point of view that makes the books unique. That said I read EAT, LOVE, PRAY after several drafts of my manuscript had already been written. I was worried when she wrote about spending Thanksgiving in Italy and buying lingerie, two things I wrote about. Oh no. Anyway I told my editor about it and she said they were very different.

7 comments:

erin said...

oh my gosh! I've been searching high and low for this book since Shelley wrote about it too! But I can only find it on ebay from Australia with high shipping rates and who knows how long to get here.

How do I get in the "sisterhood of the traveling book" club?! :)

Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

Interesting! I'm not sure if I'm getting it or not...but I'll be sure to get it from Michelle if I don't (after she reads it, of course!) Yay, sisterhood. :)

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I have the other traveling book (I'm Michelle in Calabria, to be clear), but now that I'm looking at my list of people to send it to, I'm supposed to send it to CA...maybe we should revise the lists so we have one traveling through the Americas and another through Europe? Would take a little coordination, but I think we could do it--plus I think Poste Italiane is slightly more trustworthy dealing with internal mail ;) OK, not really, but it'll save on postage.

What do you say?

I'm breezing through the book as well (slacking off on work a bit too, but that's expected)....

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Chris & Erin - Check with Shelley. You might be able to get it once you are in Italy (it is going to take a while to get through the list)

Ms. Adventures - let me know what you think once you read it.

Sognatrice - That sound like a good idea. I will email you. I have two American and two Italian addresses. Curious to hear what you think of the book as well.

Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

I should have known you'd fly through this one... with all your script-reading experience you must be a speed-reader. Don't despair because I am hatching a plan to take this book sisterhood to a whole 'nother level... stay tuned.

The idea about coordinating the addresses is a good one... I wasn't on the ball enough to get there and just put the people on the list as the requests came in.

I'd say to Chris & Erin, just ask NYC or Sognatrice to add you to one of their lists. And Ms. can do the same... I don't think she's on either list but it could be my fault if she asked and I forgot...

And Michelle in Milan is the one with the Michellanea blog...

Happy reading!

Paula Puryear Martin said...

I love, love love this! Books make the world go round, the world makes books go round, etc... By the way, you are an original. So is Elizabeth Gilbert. So is everyone. I agree with your editor (and I haven't even read your manuscript yet)! Expecting great things from you. You have such a unique perspective to offer. If you ever forget what it is I'll be glad to tell you some of the things that jumped out when you told me what you were writing about. Big ups and much love, P

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Thanks Paula!