Monday, January 22, 2007

HBO's ROME

Too bad this is the last season. I don't understand why, since all the sets have been built already. I wonder what they are going to do with them once the show shuts down. They spent over $100 million on the sets.

When I was in Rome back in May, a friend at HBO arranged a tour. The historical consultant, Jonathan, along with Grace, one of the producers (who I met randomly at a dinner the night before), took me around the set. Unbelieveable. The scale of the sets and the amount of detail were incredible.

It was funny to see "Roman soliders" in full costume, smoking and speaking Italian on their way back from lunch. The scene I watched on set (the show down between Marc Antony and Octavian) aired last night.

I also saw the sets left over from the GANGS OF NEW YORK. Where is Daniel Day-Lewis these days?

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I love this show! That is so cool that you got to tour the set.

Do I remember correctly that it was originally scheduled for only 12 episodes, but was so popular that a second season was ordered?

Anonymous said...

speaking of DDL, did you ever see the age of innocence? he was abs wonderful!

i can just imagine a very effeminate man in soldier costume...masculine during the shoot, the minute the cameras are off--FABULOUSSSSS!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Kali - I'm not sure. I will miss it and wish we could have at least another season.

Tracie B. - Yes, I did see Age of Innocence. DDL is one of my favorite actors.