Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Bachelor - Rome

Hahahahahaaa! I laughed my ass off last night. It was a much needed chuckle after the last 48 hours. My dad was supposed to have surgery on Thursday but my uncle died over the weekend. My parents are headed back to the island for the funeral. My uncle was in his late 80's and had a great life. It's sad but not unexpected. I didn't know him that well. He didn't come to the U.S. to visit and we were closer to my dad's other siblings.

I have not watch this show since Trista married Ryan. I had major issues with the premise in the first place. All these women competing with each other over one man? This is not good for the sisterhood. I believe none of the Bachelors have married or maintained a relationship with the women they proposed to. Meanwhile the first Bachelorette is still married. Hmmmm.

So after receiving several emails about this season from my friends, I had to watch. I don't know where to begin. I think the New York Times said it best. They keep hyping the show about this Italian prince and how the show is set in Rome but with American people. Prince Lorenzo Borghese doesn't speak Italian (born in Milan but he grew up in NY/NJ) and there is no monarchy ruling Italy.

Where did they find these women? I'm feminine and I like the color pink but never once in my life did I want to marry a prince. Michael Jackson (pre-thriller), Sting (when he was with the Police), Bob Marley, Seal, Andy Gibb, Bobby D (Godfather 2 era), Mark Sandemeno (he was a year a head of me at Verona High) Denzel, my youth group minister Rev. Cadmus, these were some of men I imagined myself walking down the aisle with. I don't get this Cinderella crap.

Every single woman on the show last night was saying how it's EVERY woman's dream to be a princess. Some of the women are supposed to be smart and with the exception of one "dancer/model" and a socialite they all have jobs. I'm not sure why eighty percent of these women talk like this:

"Oh. My. God. His name is, like, all, like, over Rome. He's, like, from, like, a really really important family."

Rome looked great. There was a shot of the piazza where I stayed in Trastevere. I miss it so much.

The Prince is cute but I'm sensing some knucklehead tendencies. I could be wrong.

I must thank Mike Fleiss (producer of the Bachelor, and yes he is related to Heidi, they're cousins) for providing some needed Roman eye candy. I am talking about the city, not the Prince.

15 comments:

Ebony and Ivory said...

Damn! I missed it! I forgot when it was on plus I had to go to the airport to pick-up my Mom and once she got here she pretty much took over the TV watching here Novelas (Mexican soap operas, but I am sure you know what they are!)
I agree with you. I mean these women don't realize what fools they are making of themselves and unless he lives in a castle (like the prince of Monaco) he's not a prince! I mean, maybe by blood but that's about it. I want to watch the show just to see Rome but might as well have a laugh while I'm at it. I'll be sure and tune in to next weeks episode.

Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

What?! A Roman prince? This is hilarious. Borghese, of course, is a big name here, but who knew they were still alive and well.

I'll keep my eyes open... maybe I'll see him around. I couldn't resist and looked it up online... ABC describes him as a handsome 34-year-old cosmetics entrepreneur. Maybe they'll dub it and send it over here. Or maybe they'll send an American princess over to woo the Roman men... you never know!

gibber said...

Ron Cadmus! He was a goodlookin guy. I remember spending time with him and his daughter at Ocean Grove and thinking how cute he was. teeheehee

I never wanted to be a princess. I did want to hit the lotto so I can have the option of not working (I think I'd get bored eventually), but I never wanted any man to give that to me. Oh Well.

E&I - I know what Novelas are. We call them "stories". hehehe. Did you happen to catch Ugly Betty? I saw the first episode and thought it was very cute - very Devil WP-ish - but cute non-the less. But I LOVED the Novelas with Selma Hyak and the fact that the dad watched them too! Just like my dad watched stories, even though he claims not to.

Kathy said...

I was tempted to watch just because it's in Rome, but I forgot.

I've always wanted to be a princess, but I wouldn't go on that show to accomplish it!

Besides, my husband is a prince in my eyes. :-)

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Kali...how sweet glad you have found your prince. :) I can't even get a damn frog in my neck of the woods.

E&I - you have to see it to believe it. I hope they don't show this overseas.

Shelly - they also had two locals girls added to the show in the second hour. The American girls were not happy. Prince Lorezno gave one of them a rose. She knows only a little English. They seem to have trouble communicating.

Gibber - you know you watch "the stories" too. Did I not see you watching the BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL a couple weeks ago? It might be inappropiate (very thornbirds) but I'm glad you agree that Rev. Cadmus was attractive. I wonder what he is doing now. I saw him one day years ago on the beach during Sen. Bradley's annual beachwalk. One of my older co-workers was smitten. LOL

gibber said...

I was NOT watching Bold and the Beautiful...it was the Young and the Restless! And I was only watching it because your brother was watching it! So whatevs! :)

Kathy said...

I hate to admit it, but when I was in college, I *loved* The Bold and the Beautiful! I was home for lunch every day in between working and afternoon classes, and I would turn the TV on just for some background noise, and pretty soon I was watching it regularly! Haven't watched in years and years though...

And about the whole prince/frog thing - I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, but he will appear in a way you are not expecting it, and he might just be the complete opposite of what you always thought you wanted. Believe me, 15 years ago, if you told me I would end up with anyone even remotely like my husband, I would have either laughed or been angry! lol

gibber said...

Kali, it's ok. In college i arranged my classes so I could watch the tri-fecta...Y&R, BATB, and ATWT (never like GL). After college for many years, I taped all three and would watch them every night..sometimes staying up to 3am to do so (back when i was living the single life in the city). I don't watch them anymore, but I can see how one gets sucked back into it like my brother has!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

I watch Y&R of and on, and GH in jr. high. Didn't Julianne Moore play Franie Hughes on ATWT? or was that GL?

The big one for me was AMC. I stopped watching around the time Sarah Michelle Geller ended her role as Erica Kane's daughter Kendall.

Kali the last line of your post is hilarious.

Ebony and Ivory said...

Gibber-I have only watched bits and pieces of Ugly Betty because my Mom took over the TV since she arrived and the Mexican version of Ugly Betty (which is called "La Fea Mas Bella" and translates to "The Most Beautiful Ugly Girl") is on the same hour! Apparently is has been remade all over the world! The original in from Colombia called "Betty La Fea" which tranlates to the same title in English. My only American soap is Days of Our Lives and now thanks to my Mom I am watching 3 hours of Mexican soaps at night. My poor husband....lol!

Ebony and Ivory said...

Please excuse my typing errors! I am eating lunch while trying to type this...lol!

Ebony and Ivory said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tracie P. said...

oh.my.god. i like really really wanted to marry george.michael. when i was like, little.

if i had only known...

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Tracie b. I had my suspicions from the first Wham video.

gibber said...

Tracie b! You mean the video for "Wake me up" didn't clue you in? hehehe.