Friday, August 11, 2006

Can someone explain to me the deal with a 17 year old British suicide bomber?

I was going to mention my Brad Pitt sighting today but I received an email from a friend at LAX airport. She is flying to Rome. She could not bring any lotion, contact lense solution, lip gloss, toothpaste, keys etc. She had to put her passport and wallet in a ziploc. She will be showing up ashy and with bad breath.

In an article in today's New York Times they posted a quote from the website. Someone said they don't know why anyone would travel now. Stay home. I don't think that is the answer but I do understand people's fear and frustrations. I am flying in a couple of weeks and not looking forward to it.

I don't know how long these new restrictions will be in place. I think back to traveling to SXM when I was a kid. Remember all the things people could bring on the planes back then? Why weren't these attacks or attempts happening in the 80's. Is it better technology, the internet? What is the ultimate goal of these bombers? Why are there no suicide bombers in other religions? I don't recall any Catholics trying to blow themselves up the Sony lot to protest the Da Vinci Code.

Sometimes we do take freedom of speech for granted here. A filmmaker (a relative of Van Gogh) in Holland was killed in broad daylight because his murderer didn't like what his film had to say about Islam and the role of women. In court the man said he would do it again. No remorse. I do know most Muslims do not condone these acts. All these religions have been around for centuries. Why all the hatered now? The Crusades were a long time ago.  Are the leaders worried that young people are attracted to the Western lifestyle? If the homegrow British bombers hate everything that the West represents, why are they living there?

I was talking to my sister this morning about our parents. They are flying into the States today from St. Martin. My sister was telling my parents what they could and couldn't bring. I said to her "I am so over these fucking terrorists." The thing that is truly scary is you cannot "win" the war on terror. You can try to anticipate what they are going to do. You cannot reason with people who have no problem blowing themselves up. What does a jail sentence mean to them? If you execute them, they are still marytrs for Allah.

We can talk about sprending democracy but won't the opponents dig their heals in deeper and try to stop it?

4 comments:

Moi said...

I get the feeling that this is like a wart that won't be cut, burnt or bit off. It keeps growing back, bigger and bigger.
My sister is supposed to fly today from Houston to Philadelphia, with her husband and child, doubtful. But my parents are still coming to visit me in Rome-- I am happy but I am really sick of this shit.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Erica, you are right. This is different from some sort of political fight. I don't see solutions/talks, like what happened between the British, Irish goverments and the IRA happening any time soon.

I hope your parents have a safe trip.

Errata said...

I am honestly sick of it too and have since put a serious curb in my usual hop scotch travels. Its lame but I am honestly glad for it (restrictions) rather than having another econonmic recession, hundreds of lives in the balance, tears and sorrow over losses.

However, I guess for our terrorists, the latter has been their daily reality for decades.

Anonymous said...

The only ones who can really stop Islamic terrorism are Muslims speaking up themselves against it in the strongest way possible way, rather than excusing it.